It was interesting to hear the management perspective of a huge network like Star and to really know what goes on behind the scenes while decisions are made. Star TV reaches out to a wide diaspora of people across the world and it was indeed impressive that they give so much importance to what viewers would really like to see on their screens. Some of the information gathered in this meeting would definitely give a different perspective to a lot of common questions that we as viewers have for the network. I do applaud Star for coming up with an awesome concept and getting to the roots of its audience base.
The whole event was well organized and it was led by Mr. Rajan Singh the Head of Star Network. I was really impressed with his approach and the kind of topics that were discussed. There were a couple of other executives from the network as well. It was very efficiently organized, keeping in mind the topics that would take the network forward.
Here are some of the most interesting questions that were asked and the responses that were give by Mr. Singh.
1. Why aren’t international audience considered while the TRPs of shows are calculated? They would like to know how can they contribute towards the same?
Mr. Singh – International audience aren’t considered for the TRP as the boxes that usually gather this information is specifically placed in areas that give the sampling of the market base which is primarily India. The ad revenue for the channels comes from these TRPs. Thats the reason why TRPs do play a very pivotal role for all shows.
This is very similar to Nielsen research in the U.S which publishes the TV ratings.
2. Why did STAR PLAYER stop working internationally after March?
Mr. Singh – The networks that carry the channel content like Cox, Dish network and any other carriers outside India had asked Star to halt broadcasting the shows as they were losing revenue and taking audiences away from their networks. This is/was a revenue hit for the carriers and Star TV decided to stop broadcasting to other geolocs outside India due to the legal ramifications surrounding it.
3. Are there chances of DVD’s of popular shows being released for fans?
Mr. Singh – Star is definitely cognizant of the technological advances we have made today and we as a team are definitely looking into options like video on demand etc., where fans can download the HD formatted shows by paying online. This techology in my opinion is far better than DVDs as the latter are becoming obsolete in recent times.
4. As Fans we have often wondered why the shows on Television present regressive content? Woman are portrayed as weak with really no backbone and kitchen politics comprises the main theme in a lot of shows. Explain.
Mr.Singh – There are shows like Diya aur Bati hum, Ek Hazaroon Mein Mere Behena hai and Iss Pyar Ko kya Naam Doon that cater to a different audience. These shows do keep the niche audience in mind. As numbers would suggest we have observed Kitchen politics sells and brings in the revenue for the channel. When you look at the TRPs and the audience in India, specifically where the channel is watched these are the shows that work and generate the revenue for Star.
5. Why are certain scenes and certain shows stretched over a period of time?
Mr.Singh – The Channel pays the Production House by the minute and the only way a Production House can get a bank for this buck is by stretching the scenes. Star is aware of this issue and we are planning on addressing it soon.
6. You recently launched Aamir Khan's Satymeva Jayate. Will we ever get to see the effect and the impact the show has had on the audience?
Mr.Singh – This indeed a great idea. (applauding the audience for having suggested the same) The government, including the (state and local) are taking steps to improve a lot of the issues that have been shown on this show as we have been told.
7. Why aren’t there enough game shows and other reality shows on the channel?
Mr.Singh – Star is soon going to air Funtakshari and Master Chef Juniors which would be game and reality shows.
8. Why does the channel air Maha episodes over the weekends when there is no real content or progress in the story during its course?
Mr.Singh - We will definitely look into it. (Note – Lot of the viewers asked why we as viewers need to spend an hour on a weekend when nothing happens in these episodes. Viewers also mentioned that they should stick to their 5 day format and not do these episodes on the weekend at all)
9. Why are there no youth oriented shows on Star TV? Is there a possiblity of getting Channel [V] in the U.S in the near future?
Mr.Singh – We will be looking to bringing content from Channel [V] soon.
(This is just Part 1 of the Q and A. There was more interesting conversation around favorite shows, the reason why we like a certain show etc., Those topics will be covered in Part -2 next week.)
As Shared by Shreeya Gupta
** Rangmunch.TV would like to thank Shreeya Gupta for representing Rangmunch at this forum and getting various Fan queries and questions answered on their behalf!